Thank you for considering submitting to The Story Beast, a big-tent e-publication, where we strive to offer innovative and engaging storytelling to all.
All types of story-related pieces are welcomed.
We’re looking for Story in all its forms–traditional, modern or melded.
- Engaging Tales: Stories, personal narratives, fiction, poetry, retold folktales
- Intriguing Knowledge: Story-centered research in all disciplines, folklore, intros & deep dives into storytelling styles, methods, histories, cultural roots
- Story-Based Activities: Activities, crafts, folk songs, recipes, games–and more
Some may fall into one of these Sections. If not, then your pieces could still be published outside these categories.
- Story Craft & Innovation – an intro of what transforms “good” to “great” stories
- Storycology – an awareness of environmental storytelling to lead to action
- Teacher Tales & Tentacles – a celebration of storytelling in the classroom
- Healing Springs – a balm for the world through the use of story
- Storytelling Fusions – a blending or “fusion” of genres, styles, or cultures in the art
- The Wondrous E-porium – an exploration of multimedia storytelling
- Journeys – a guide to travels as a storyteller complete with reflections
For our submission process, each piece is logged and read. Submissions are retained for three months for review. Section Leads go through the submissions each month and select submissions they would like to add to their sections. If you are accepted elsewhere during this three month interval and are no longer able to be published by The Story Beast, please let us know. At three months, all remaining submissions are reviewed by the editors. If a place cannot be found for a submission, we will email the artist and let them know we are unable to take their submission at this time.
We are impressed by the variety and talent of you, the contributors, and appreciate your support by sharing your work with us. We are honored to be one of the places to which you submit your work, and that our team is given the opportunity to read and share your pieces.
If you have any questions regarding our process, please send them to StoryBeastEditor@gmail.com.
Issues come out in connection with Seasons/Equinoxes/Solstices
March 2023 Issue (Winged Words): Articles and Stories due February 1, 2023
June 2023 Issue (Bright Babblings): Articles and Stories due May 1, 2023
September 2023 Issue (Under the Tome & Tombs): Articles and Stories due August 1, 2023
December 2023 Issue (Peaceful Ponderings): Articles and Stories due November 1, 2023
What Happens Throughout the Year:
January – Blog Blitz on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays on past December issue
February – Videos & Vlogs on Mondays on past December issue
March – The Story Beast e-publication (flagship) comes out on the 15th
April – Blog Blitz on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays on past March issue
May – Videos & Vlogs on Mondays on past March issue
June – The Story Beast e-publication (flagship) comes out on the 15th
July – Blog Blitz on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays on past June issue
August – Videos & Vlogs on Mondays on past June issue
September – The Story Beast e-publication (flagship) comes out on the 15th
October – Blog Blitz on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays on past September issue
November – Videos & Vlogs on Mondays on past September issue
December – The Story Beast e-publication (flagship) comes out on the 15th
Shared Randomly Throughout the Year:
We will publish previews of articles and stories as well as one-time-only “Beast Bites”randomly during January-February, April-May, July-August, and October-November. These shorter works will be archived on a separate webpage to the e-publications for ease of access as well as posting in The Beastly Blog (https://storybeast.org/blog).
- File Form: Send manuscripts in .docx, .rtf, .txt
- Font: 12 point type using fonts Times New Roman or Arial
- Spacing: Double-spaced for prose, single-spaced for poetry
- Recommended Word Count: 500 – 750 (1,000+ words rarely makes our publication)
- Email: StoryBeastEditor@gmail.com
- Please note your email Attention to the area(s) you think your work would best fit (Examples: Journeys, Healing Springs, or even Miscellaneous, etc.)
- Issue of the The Story Beast featuring your writing with your headshot, bio, and weblink
- Following quarter’s Issue of The Story Beast link emailed directly to you
- 1/8 Page Advertising credit to use in next quarter’s issue
By submitting, you agree all work is original to you or sourced from public domain materials.